Monday, March 28, 2011

Swearing In

Ok, I suck at blogging…SORRY!! But anyway from here on out I should be a better blogger I promise. So I’m finally sitting here in Sta. Clara la Laguna in my new pink home with my new family (for the next 3 months) all my shit is “unpacked” and sitting around my pink room in a neat manner. Training is over and I am an official Peace Corps Volunteer. The stress from PST and being under the all seeing eye of PC is finally some what over…to a point.

The past few weeks have been building up to our “anti-climactic swearing in ceremony”-unknown PC volunteer, but nevertheless we made it. Our ceremony coincided with the 50th anniversary of the PC so we celebrated in the Capital at the Ambassadors sweet house.  It only lasted a few hours and didn’t seem to be centered on the new volunteers but rather just giving shout outs to the volunteers who are about to leave the country…whatever. I think it’s safe to say all of us noobs were just ready to let loose and celebrate in Antigua. That evening began to unravel as usual with casual drinking and some good food, but as expected there were those who over did it before the night ended. The blow out weekend for me was a dud and just left me tired and ready to leave to my new home.

We did however end up on the front page of the Prensa Libre (newspaper in Guate) with super awkward photos of us all…and I mean super awkward…my face looks like I should be laying in a coffin…it’s painful to look at…but don’t worry Mom I saved you a copy.

Sunday morning came and people from eco started to trickle outward to their own sites throughout the country. This day sucked, the frustrations from the 2 days prior were stuck in my head, my friends from the past 3 months were leaving, and I had received an email from home that made me miss being around my favorite people in CO. The email told how all the crew went out for Stews 24th birfday, and I just wished I could have been there to celebrate…I definitely teared up and did that thing I do when I try and hold emotions back. After reading this, I had to board the microbus and head out.

And now it’s Monday at 5:45 and I’m sitting here relaxing in my room, studying Spanish, playing guitar, writing this damn blog, getting bomb food from Doña Alida who hooked it up this morning with CHOCOLATE PANCAKES!! Things finally seems calm and control of my life is slowly returning…but I still feel emotional, like a wall of tears is filling up a well but just as it’s about to over flow the well gets just a little bigger. I’m missing everyone back home.

That basically brings me up to date, these next few days will probably include traveling around the lake exploring my new surroundings…

No comments:

Post a Comment